Monday 14 April 2014

How Can A Busy Mum Look After Dogs? Like This…

Along with looking after kids and working a busy day, I have two Cocker Spaniels to look after. As lovely as they are (and I do love them), it can be quite a pain to have to fit in their exercise needs among everything else. That’s not to say I don’t enjoy it, but sometimes it’s quite difficult to fit it in. Therefore I’ve come up with time savers that suit my needs and make sure the dogs are cared for.

The ‘Stair Game’
Usually my dogs aren’t allowed upstairs as we prefer to keep it off-limits, but sometimes we do play a fun game that wears them out. It’s a simple game of fetch up and down the stairs, with me standing at the bottom and throwing a ball or toy up to the top for them to fetch and bring back to me. They soon get worn out and they really enjoy it too!

Using Our New Favourite Stick In The Garden
I’m sure all dog owners are familiar with what happens when a dog gets hold of a stick – they play with it for a while, then chew it up. A few months ago a friend recommended something that would eradicate this problem and help me keep them active. Safestix is a plastic, stick-like toy that I can throw in the garden just like a normal stick, except they can’t destroy it. I’d recommend it to anyone.

Our Morning Run
I don’t go for a run every day (it’s all I can do to get out of bed sometimes!) but when I do, I always make sure I take the dogs with me. Because it’s first thing in the morning, the dogs are keen and then they will sleep for most of the day without needing any more exercise.

Use Local Dog Walkers
This option might not be available to everyone due to financial constraints but I’ve been lucky enough to use our local walker a couple of times and it’s been a godsend. They take really good care of our dogs and they always come back exhausted. If a dog walker isn’t an option, you can always try local school kids who want to make a bit of money too.

No comments:

Post a Comment